Monday, August 22, 2011

The Help

Last weekend, I traveled south to attend the premiere of The Help at my hometown theatre. My five sisters, an in-law, and I arrived early and claimed a row mid-center. The room was soon filled with mostly women. This was impressive at a 1:00 p.m. showing on a sunny summer afternoon. My sister remarked that the outstanding attendance showed that people are still reading. And I know that many of those are still using their local library.

In contrast to the poor forecast for New Hampshire libraries, and despite the bad economy, Nelson County Public Library in Kentucky is building two new branch libraries. I am sometimes boggled and amazed at the happenings in my two favorite states.

The movie was wonderful, by the way, very true to the book.

1 comment:

Ellen Knowlton said...

Not only are people still reading, but they're not afraid to read something that makes them think. The Help showcases attitudes that were prevalent in the 50's and 60's, some that might make us squirm in our seats even today. Whether you read the book, see the movie, or both, this is a story well worth experiencing and talking about.