Sunday, October 12, 2008

The Big Read Reading List

Like Ellen, I love to read and I love reading lists. I recently stumbled upon a list developed by the BBC a few years ago as they attempted to determine their nation's favourite book (and I do mean favourite - it's Great Britain after all). The list is chock full of classics, old and new. It's one of the lists I revisit every so often and one that I actually hope to make it through. Many of us have probably read a good number of these.


Out in the blogosphere you may stumble across this list in meme form. Bloggers and blog readers have taken the list and reproduced it noting titles they have read (bold), intend to read (italicize) and love (underline). How did you do? (I have 57 to go!)


Incidentally, the National Endowment for the Arts also has a program entitled The Big Read. The initiative was created to "restore reading to the center of American culture." The NEA's Big Read currently features 23 books with more to come. The program's brochure features a thought provoking quote from Ray Bradbury's Fahrenheit 451. "You don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. Just get people to stop reading them." Read on America!

No comments: