Wednesday, July 30, 2008

A View From North Andover pt.2

Day 3

I appreciate Ellen's last comments, I am trying my best to make everyone proud of me. I was being flip about the food(it still is good though). The days here do make me appreciate the amenities. It's not necessarily a grueling pace we're on here, but it is different than my normal routine and I am a creature of habit. I am way out of my comfort zone and I am in networking mode most of the time. I am naturally an introvert so this uses a lot of my mental energy, or something like that I think. Another thing that is different is that if this were a class the time we have spent in the classroom by the end of the week will be probably be close to a semester's worth of time. It is all well worth it because I am meeting great new people, discovering new ideas, and ways to do things.

Today we discussed managing differences, this involved a dialogue on diagnosing sources of conflict and disagreements, individual responses to conflict, and skills to develop that will help us negotiate through conflicts. The next dialogue/discussion was about risk taking. This was very interesting to me because, it is the risks that we take that enable us to grow. Attending this Symposium for me was a risk. It was a risk for me because, it is a break from my routine, and required me to leave my comfort zone, but I think the benefits will far outweigh the risk, which is mild social awkwardness and mostly only involves me getting over shyness.

The second session of the day had dignitaries from the different state and regional professional associations in a panel discussion. They were very encouraging, so encouraging that I almost signed-up to help out at NELA in Manchester in October without thinking about my schedule. I thought better of it and resolved to get in touch with her once I figured out my availability, since October is such a jammed packed month for us. This panel led into a talk about advocacy for the library, and the library in the community by one of the mentors Krista Mcleod, and finally power and influence we all have to aid this advocacy.

This is a lot to think about, sometimes it seems daunting. I am doing good things for the library, but I always feel like there is so much more I could be doing. I get this feeling whenever I go to a conference and see all the great ideas and wonderful things other librarians are doing in their libraries. I guess that is the whole purpose of professional development, great ideas will always be great ideas and I will be able to implement them in time, Rome wasn't built in a day.

No comments: