Wednesday, July 16, 2008

They Must Have Used A Dart Board!

Entertainment Weekly's website has unveiled the EW 1000, a list of the "best" books, movies, TV shows, music, videogames, etc. of the last 25 years. In looking over the list of New Classic Books, I'm amazed at the diversity of titles and mystified at some of the choices. It's not clear to me what the criteria were for choosing "new classics." The list runs the gamut from Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (J.K. Rowling) to Angela's Ashes (Frank McCourt) to The Kite Runner (Khaled Hosseini) to Fast Food Nation (Eric Schlosser). There's a mix of fiction and non-fiction titles, with a couple of children's/young adult titles thrown in. I've read about 1/3 of the titles, and some of the others are already on my "to read" list, but it's shocking to see Bridget Jones's Diary (Helen Fielding) at #20 and A Thousand Acres (Jane Smiley) at #93. And, I ask you, how can a book become a "classic" in just a couple of years?

You might agree or disagree with this list and the order of the selections, but it's worth checking out. There are some really good titles here, and you might see something you've overlooked. It makes an eclectic "to read" list. While you're at it, take a look at the movies, but don't get me started again! Shrek at #25 and Out of Africa at a mere #75? Give me a break!

No comments: