Thursday, February 21, 2008

The WGA Strike is Over!

Hooray! The Hollywood writers are back at work, and My Man in Hollywood (my son, Barry) is back on his job with "House, M.D." I think we are all breathing a collective sigh of relief. The studios are scrambling to salvage the current season, and new episodes will start to air in a few weeks. TV and film are such a focal point of our culture, it's hard to image life without them.

While we've been subsisting on reruns and reality TV, I put up a display called "Reel Life: the Golden Years of Hollywood," which will be up until the end of the month. You can find some classic movies, film histories, and biographies of some of yesterday's stars that were notable more for their acting and glamour than for their immature behavior.

I've noticed an increase in requests for classic movies on VHS and DVD, too. One of our patrons has rediscovered James Cagney, and is working her way through available movies on tape with help from the Interlibrary Loan system. I took a request for "Sargeant York" this week, that heroic World War I movie starring Gary Cooper. That was hard to locate, but Moultonboro Public Library is sending us their copy, and I plan to watch it again myself before we send it back.

If you still have a VCR, don't get rid of it just because it's now "old" technology. A lot of great movies are only available on VHS. It would be a shame to miss them. By the time they make it to DVD, we'll likely be viewing movies only by streaming on the Internet or by some other technology that hasn't been invented yet.

No comments: