Tuesday, July 10, 2007

The Pleasures of Vacation Reading

I've just returned from an all-too-brief week off. I left here armed with three books, which I thought would tide me over for the week, given my usual slow pace to finish a book, but by Friday I was back here to pick up two more. It's such a treat to have time to read three books in a week!

Summertime brings a flood of pleasure readers to the library. Foot traffic and circulation both rise in July and August, so I guess I'm not the only one who piles up books in the summer. We're also doing a brisk interlibrary loan business, with July being one of our busiest months of the year for that service. I guess I'm not the only one who keeps a prospective reading list, with some things not owned by this library. When our library doesn't have a title you want, we're happy to find a library that does. In fact, a lot of the titles on my list are books that other libraries frequently borrow from us, which is a good enough recommendation for me.

This month, you can find lots of recommended reading at the library. Our usual Staff Picks table is loaded with books that have been read by our librarians and assistants, and we think you'd like them, too. Check out Lee's display of What the Book Clubs Are Reading. As ILL Librarian, Lee handles requests for multiple copies of titles from several local book clubs, so she knows what's been popular in Merrimack in recent months. She's also included selections from Oprah's Book Club. You'll find plenty of popular and literary titles here to suit every taste.

As for me, I've veered off my list after discovering Anne Lamott, so I guess I won't run short of reading options any time soon. As the saying goes, "So many books, so little time."

No comments: