For those looking to fill the void left by their favorite teen wizard there are many good books and series to fill in. Some are old classics and some are new favorites. Old or new they do owe Harry at least a little, Harry helped create many young and eager readers, and he reminded veteran readers that it's O.K. to be a kid again.
So here are some suggestions from the Young Adult and Children's collections for the post Harry blues. Please forgive me for any omissions this list is off the top of my head. Some of these you may have read already so please also forgive me for not reinventing the wheel.
- Phillip Pullman's His Dark Materials series (The Golden Compass is soon to be a major motion picture)
- Books by Garth Nix
- Jonathan Stroud's Bartimaeus Trilogy
- Any Series by Tamora Pierce (Terrier is her newest)
- Books by Diana Wynne Jones
- Annie Sage's Septimus Heap series
- Trenton Lee Stewart's The Mysterious Benedict Society (a new series that's generating some good buzz)
- Rick Riordan's Percy Jackson and the Olympians series
- Christopher Paolini's Inheritance series
- Classics like Madeleine L'Engle's A Wrinkle in Time, and Brian Jacques Redwall
Please leave a comment if you have any suggestions. I am sure I missed many, many good books that can help us with life after Hary.