Friday, March 30, 2007

Meet My Childhood Heroine

Growing up in Middleborough, Massachusetts, I was captivated with the story of Deborah Sampson, a woman who had dressed as a man and served in the Continental Army. Sampson, born in nearby Plympton, had lived in Middleborough for several years prior to enlisting, so she was a bit of a local legend, and in my youthful fancy, I thought she was just about the bravest women ever to live. Besides that, she enlisted under the name "Robert Shurtleff," and, since I am a Shurtleff on my paternal grandmother's side, I thought this was proof positive that Deborah Sampson and I were related, and that was pretty neat in my book.

Now I will finally get to "meet" my idol when she visits the Merrimack Library on Tuesday, April 17, at 7 p.m. Costumed performer Joan Gatturna will portray Deborah Sampson in her one-woman show, "Petticoat Patriot." Sampson will describe her adventures as a soldier and explain how she kept her real identity a secret for 18 months. We are grateful to the New Hampshire Humanities Council for co-sponsoring this special event as part of our National Library Week celebration. Seating is limited, and reservations are strongly recommended. To register, call us at 424-5021 or email.

1 comment:

DianeAG said...

This entry is wonderful - what a great way to get people excited about this program! thanks!